Barely 48 hours after disowning a nomination form purchased for him by a northern group, Nigeria’s former President, Goodluck Jonathan has decided to run for president in 2023.
Mr Jonathan had on May 9 rejected presidential expression of interest and nomination forms of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) bought for him by a Fulani group. He later visited APC chairman Abdullahi Adamu, a shuttle his aides said was to distance himself from the purchase.
Nigeria’s newswire, the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, which broke the news, said a credible source with Jonathan’s camp, disclosed that the ex president has finally made up his mind to vie for the top post he lost to the incumbent in 2015.
While pleading anonymity, the source told NAN that the former president has also joined the APC formally, having registered at his Otuoke Ward in Bayelsa.
Meanwhile, Mr Jonathan is expected to submit the duly filled forms bought on his behalf on Thursday, the source offered further.
According to the source, the former president has secured the support of the required number of APC delegates from across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.
“Several bigwigs of the party have also been calling Jonathan to pledge their loyalty and support to the former president,’’ the source revealed.
The source told NAN political correspondent late on Wednesday that some influential African leaders had called Mr Jonathan earlier on Monday to advise him “to contest the election in the interest of Nigeria.