The Plateau State Government along with its National Assembly members expressed shock and disappointment as they went on an observatory visit to all 22 Federal Government, State Government, and private properties affected by the recent ‘EndSARS’ protests, yesterday 27th October 2020. The massive looting and destruction of properties has left most governments in Nigeria aghast and worried. The protests, which had started as a peaceful call for end to the Special Anti Robbery Squads (SARS) unit of the Nigeria Police Force, quickly deteriorated into a large-scale nationwide looting and destruction spree as public and private facilities were stolen, set on fire, and or vandalised despite the Federal Government agreeing to the demand by ending the existence of the SARS and the police authorities ensuring that none of the SARS personnel will be involved in the next special squad to deal with armed robbery and kidnapping.
The inspection of the facilities which had the Plateau State caucus of the National Assembly present, left the administrators and leaders sad and disappointed with the behaviour of the youths. The inspections were carried out in Jos, the capital city of the State, and Bukuru.
Chief Simon Lalong, the Plateau State Governor, and Federal and State legislators who paid visit to the JIB complex, residential premises of former Speaker of the House of Representatives Yakubu Dogara, State Emergency Management Agency SEMA, National Emergency Management Agency NEMA, PRUWASSA, and Plateau Road Maintenance Agency, described the scenes of the looting and destruction as horrifying and disappointing.
They fear that the carnage have set the State back in her efforts towards responsive amenities, and worsened the infrastructure deficit of the State thereby increasing the burden of development.
They charged the host communities to stand up and protect public and private facilities in their domain in order to avoid a reverse in the development of their communities.
The list of 22 facilities looted, destroyed and/or burnt are:
- NEMA Store, Anguldi, Bukuru (Public Facility)
- SEMA Store, Anguldi, Bukuru (Public Facility)
- FERMA Office, Anguldi, Bukuru (Public Facility)
- PRUWASSA Office, Anguldi, Bukuru (Public Facility)
- ASTC Office, K/Vom (Public Facility)
- Government Technical College, Bukuru (Public Facility)
- Joseph Gomwalk Secretariat, Jos (Public Facility)
- PADP, Dogon Dutse, Jos North (Public Facility)
- Plateau Publishing Corporation (Nigeria Standard) (Public Facility)
- Jos Foods Abattoir (Private business)
- Rt Hon Yakubu Dogara’s house (Private Residence)
- Comrade Bancir’s house (Private Residence)
- Plateau State Water Board (Public Facility)
- Jos International Breweries (Public Facility)
- NASCO (Private business)
- Red Cross, North Central Zonal Store (Public Facility)
- NITEL, Bukuru (Public Facility)
- Riyom Local Government Secretariat (Public Facility)
- Home Economics Training Centre, Riyom (Public Facility)
- Ministry of Agriculture Store House, Bukuru (Public Facility)
- Fertilizer Store, Riyom (Public Facility)
- National Seed Council Office, Bukuru (4, 265 bags of wheat seeds due to be launched by the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo) (Public Facility)
Source: Plateau State Ministry of Information and Communication