A former governor of Lagos State, Ahmed Bola Tinubu, has denied having a hand in the killing of #ENDSARS protesters in the Lekki area of Lagos State.
The national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), was reacting to allegations that he was responsible for Tuesday night attack which saw security forces open fire on #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki tollgate area of the State.
In a phone interview with Channels Television on Wednesday morning, Tinubu condemned the action allegedly perpetrated by the Nigerian Army, questioning that “Why will they use live bullets?”
“I will never, never be part of any carnage. I will never be part of that.”
He denied having any investment in the Lekki Concession Company, the firm which manages the tollgate.
“I have no dime, no kobo investment in the tollgate,” he said.
Explaining further, Tinubu said he was even accused in some quarters of sponsoring the protest in Lagos state.
“We are about 13 to 14 days into the protests now. Before now, I was being accused and reported to the Presidency that I was behind the protests, that I was a sponsor of the protests.”
The APC chieftain while appealing to youths and Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to respond to the demands of the protesters.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has denied opening fire and killing peaceful #ENDSARS protesters at Lekki, Lagos state on Tuesday, despite photo and video evidence showing the shooters in military uniforms.
This was contained in a statement the Nigerian army released via its official Twitter handle on Wednesday.
The statement stated that no military personnel was at the scene of the shooting in Lekki.
The Nigerian Army simply described it as fake news.
So far 10 people have been reportedly killed while many have been injured and hospitalized.