The Kibaku Area Development Association (KADA), which serves as the umbrella body for the people of Chibok, the area where some more than 200 girls were abducted years ago by the Islamic sect, Boko Haram, has criticised the President Muhammadu Buhari administration for abandoning them to their plight.
The group released a statement to air their grievances, in which they said that the Federal Government has abandoned its quest to rescue the remaining 112 abducted Chibok girls since the return of the rescued 82 girls on May 7, 2017.
The statement which was signed by KADA’s Director Media and Publicity, Dr. Manasseh Allen, went on to say that since the abduction of the Chibok schoolgirls on April 14, 2014, which is exactly 2,276 days, the remaining 112 girls are yet to be recovered and there was no sign of doing so by the government of the day.
“Neither the families nor the Kibaku community had been briefed and informed by the Federal Government on rescue efforts or the whereabouts of our daughters since the last batch of 82 returned on 7 May 2017, except for the messages by President Muhammadu Buhari, released every 13th of April on the eve of the 14 April commemoration. These messages are basically the same copy and paste with minor alterations year in and year out,” the statement said.
On the wellbeing and educational development of those that were released, KADA said that the girls who were enrolled at the American University of Nigeria (AUN) Yola, were equally abandoned and forgotten as there was no progress in their education.
“Ten of them have out of frustration left the programme. They are: Laraba Mamman, Mwa Daniel, Rachael Nkeki (who are now married), Saraya Yanga, Philomena Dauda, Sarah Nkeki, Asabe Lawan, Glory Mainta, Talatu Adamu, and Lydia Habila,” the statement added.
“They were on full scholarships to study in the United States, with the full consent of their parents and proper documentation but after they missed their flight, the immigration services let them go back home.” The statement said.