Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has said that the state judiciary will no longer grant bail to rapists.
This was disclosed on Monday, when a grouod of concerned women staged a peaceful protest at the government house in Kaduna to press home justice for rape victims.
Mallam El-Rufai noted that the State Government was already considering more stiffer sanctions against rape, such as castration of rapists.
He said, “I am happy that our chief judge has decided to take that very seriously. We are also working on that and we know that this epidemic of rape and issues related to rape will be a thing of the past.
The Members of the House of Representatives had kicked against such punishment.
“It is 21 years for rape of an adult and life imprisonment for the rape (defilement) of a child.
“In addition to life imprisonment or 21 years’ imprisonment, anyone convicted of rape will have his organ surgically removed so that even after he finishes his term, he will not be able to rape anyone again.
“So long as the tool exists, there is the likelihood that he may go back to do it again. Most of the perpetrators are young people, so even after 21 years, they can come back and continue.”
He added that a member of the state house of assembly had already drafted a bill proposing the castration, and promised that the government would look into it.
“This measure is necessary as most cases of rape fail to get convicted because the witnesses disappear or their parents and the communities cover up due to the stigma surrounding rape,” he said.
“We have made it clear that we will protect the faces and identities of the victims and survivors of rape.
“So, there is no problem testifying in court. You will testify behind the screen, so nobody will know who you are or your face.”