On Thursday, along Abuja-Kaduna Expressway, men of the Nigerian Military foiled an attempted kidnapping of some travellers, when they clamped down on armed bandits at night.
This was contained in a statement signed and released to newsmen on Friday by Major General John Enenche, who is the Coordinator of Defence Media Operations, Defence Headquarters.
The statement read, “Troops of Operation THUNDER STRIKE under the auspices of the ongoing Operation ACCORD, have foiled an attempted kidnap of passengers along the Abuja-Kaduna expressway by armed bandits on 25 June 2020.”
The statement said the soldiers acted on a lead they had earlier received.
“Sequel to actionable Human Intelligence on the activities of armed bandits between Olams and Alheri camp along the Abuja-Kaduna expressway, troops promptly deployed to the scene and engaged the bandits with effective firepower.”
The troops exchanged gunfire with the bandits, before they eventually neutralized them.
“Troops overwhelmed the criminals with high-intensity fire, forcing them to abandon their heinous mission and fled into the forest in disarray. As troops engaged the bandits, passengers in the targeted vehicle, a Toyota Hiace Bus with registration number Lagos MUS-944FR travelling from Abuja to Kaduna, managed to escape in various directions into the surrounding bushes.”
“However, the gallant troops, adopting an aggressive posture, pursued the bandits deep into the forest and inflicted fatal injuries on them while also exhibiting the requisite composure in recovering all the passengers who escaped into the bush during the encounter,” the statement said.
The statement added that the search is on to apprehend the bandits and bring them to justice.
“Currently, troops are exploiting the general area of the incident, in search of the fleeing bandits with express orders to bring them into custody while aggressive patrols are underway along the axis. It is also important to state that all passengers in the targeted vehicle have been accounted for.”
The Defence Headquarters, in the statement, also expressed their gratitude to men of the Nigerian Military for their bravery.
“Consequently, the Military High Command commends troops of Operation THUNDER STRIKE for their vigilance and professionalism exhibited during this operation. The troops are further encouraged to remain resolute in curtailing the activities of armed bandits along the Abuja-Kaduna Expressway. The general public is hereby reassured of their safety while travelling along the Abuja-Kaduna corridor and indeed along all other highways across the country.”