Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State, on Saturday reminded the All Progressives Congress (APC) and other political parties and associations that the ban by the state on public gathering of not more than twenty persons, still subsists.
This is coming ahead of primary elections by political parties, in preparation for state governorship election.
Obaseki issued the reminder on Saturday, after he was disqualified from participating in the governorship primary of the APC on Friday.
The Edo State Government had restricted public gatherings in the state to a maximum of 20 persons in order to control the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the state.
“In view of the up-coming elections and to reduce infection transmission rates during political gatherings, I have issued a gazette that provides guidance on how political parties can conduct their activities.
“There remains a restriction of gatherings for more than 20 persons. However, where higher numbers of persons are required to gather, permit with specified location, guidelines and supervision may be granted by the Edo State Government.
“Even though we had only implemented a partial lockdown in Edo State, however, in line with the Presidential Task Force recommendations for States, the curfew starting from 10pm to 4am subsists,” the governor said via his Twitter page.
Obaseki recalled that the state had screened over 404,500 and tested 4,342 residents of the state, out of which 518 tested positive for COVID-19.
The governor noted that a total of 130 persons had been nurtured back to health, while 27 had died.
Obaseki said the tests carried out in the state indicated “a large-scale community spread” of the virus in the state.
He said while worship centres would be allowed to reopen, schools in the state would remain closed.
Obaseki noted however that, “guidelines for phased reopening are being developed together with the Federal Ministry of Education, especially for students in JSS 3 and SS 3 who are preparing for their exit examinations.”