The use of Hydroxychloroquine has been suspended by the World Health Organization (WHO) in its global study of drugs that could be used in the treatment of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
The conclusion was reached by WHO after safety data from a large study showed that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine posed more danger to patients than solution.
The global public health organization said
Director General of WHO, Tedros Adhanom, stated this on Monday, at a press briefing in Geneva.
“This concern relates to the use of hydroxychloroquine and chloraquine in COVID-19.
“I wish to reiterate that these drugs are accepted as generally safe for use in patients with autoimmune diseases or malaria,” he said.
According to him, the drugs, after thorough scientific observation by centres embarking on the trials, threatened patient’s life.
“The authors reported that among patients receiving the drug, when used alone or with a macrolide, they estimated a higher mortality rate.”
Furthermore, Tedros said that the use of drugs has been stopped while other trials were ongoing.
His statement reads in part:
“The Executive Group of the Solidarity Trial, representing 10 of the participating countries, met on Saturday and has agreed to review a comprehensive analysis and critical appraisal of all evidence available globally.
“The review will consider data collected so far in the Solidarity Trial and in particular robust randomised available data, to adequately evaluate the potential benefits and harms from this drug.
“The Executive Group has implemented a temporary pause of the hydroxychloroquine arm within the Solidarity Trial while the safety data is reviewed by the Data Safety Monitoring Board,” adding that, “The other arms of the trial are continuing.”