FOREIGN NEWS

Mother and Daughter Electrocuted in Anambra

On Monday evening, a high tension wire fell on the shop of a 55 year old woman, along Nnewichi in Nnewi North Local Government Area of Anambra State, killing her and her 11 year old daughter.

Reports suggest that the deceased were in their shop located along St Peter’s junction Okpuno, when the incident happened.

They were quickly rushed to a nearby hospital by concerned individuals, where they were confirmed dead, a source said.
He said, “At about 5.01pm, it was reported that a high tension wire opposite St. Peters Clavers, along Nnewi-Nnobi road cut and fell on the roof of a shop, electrocuting two (2) female adult victims.

“The victims were rushed to Rose of Sharon Hospital by sympathizers, before the arrival of FRSC rescue team from Nnewi Unit Command.

“The team on reaching the hospital, learnt that the doctors had confirmed them dead.

“The Sector Commander Federal Road Safety Corps Anambra State, CC Andrew A. Kumapayi stresses on the importance of ensuring that vehicles are checked and serviced regularly, with particular interest in the braking systems, to prevent avoidable road mishaps.

“Traders and shop owners are also advised not to build shops under high tension wires. They should seek approval from relevant authorities before construction of any structure, along the road.”

The incident was confirmed by the Sector Public Education Officer, Federal Road Safety Corps, Pascal Anigbo, who said that the victims died before men of FRSC could reach the scene.