50 travellers have been ordered to be quarantined by the Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai following their violation of the ban placed on interstate travel by the federal government to curb the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
The state task force on COVID-19 said the 50 persons were quarantined at the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) camp in the state.
According to a statement issued by Special Adviser on Media and Communication to Elrufai, Muyiwa Adekeye, the persons would be isolated there for 14 days to determine their COVID-19 status.
Adekeye noted: “The quarantine centre received its first set of 27 guests on Sunday, while 23 others were brought in on Monday, following the deployment of senior government officials to enforce the restriction of movement at various points of entry into the state.”He, however, warned that the state would no longer offer the option of quarantine for persons travelling illegally.
“Federal and state quarantine orders currently in force prohibit all non-essential travel. Therefore, all persons are expected to stay wherever they are until the restrictions are lifted.
“With the exception of persons on essential duty, anybody attempting to enter Kaduna will henceforth be compelled to return to their points of departure,” Adekeye said.
The statement noted that 15 out of the 92 active cases in the state had been discharged and four fatalities recorded.