News

Kano Applies for N15Billion to Fight COVID-19

Kano State governor, Alhaji Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has said the Kano State government has applied for N15b from the Federal Government of Nigeria, to fight the outbreak of coronavirus in the state.

The governor made the disclosure on Wednesday, when he appeared as a guest on Channels Television programme ‘Politics Today’.

Governor Ganduje stated that the state had not received a dime from the federal government as support to fight the COVID-19 virus since when the state recorded its first index case over a week ago.

The number of positive cases of the virus in Kano are rising by the day and in just over a week, the cases are close to a hundred.

The governor had last week declared a lockdown to curb the spread of the virus within the state.

He explained that the N15b would be expended in paying voluntary health workers engaged by the state to support the health personnel, procure personal protective equipment (PPE) and for the creation of other testing centres.

“You can understand that Kano is the most populated in the country hence the only testing centre at AKTH is not enough for us,” said Ganduje.

There were reports that more than 150 persons had died of in three days last week.
The Presidential Task force on COVID-19, on Wednesday, announced an investigation into the reported death so as to ascertain the actual cause and the number of deaths.

The Health Minister, Dr Osagie Ehanire, announced this at the daily briefing of the task force in Abuja, noting that the task force was waiting for the arrival of its epidemiologists.

The governor while reacting to such reports said the figure is false, saying only 13 people died.

Categories: News

Leave a Reply