The governor of Borno State, Prof. Babagana Zulum, has said that the nation would have to recruit about 100,000 more soldiers, improve funding as well as adopt the use of technology to win the war against Boko Haram.
The governor stated this on Wednesday while playing host to the House of Representatives’ Committee on Defence led by its chairman, Hon. Babajimi Benson.
Zulu suggested that at least 50,000 people from Borno should be engaged by the military with or without western education to prosecute the ongoing war on terror.
He highlighted proper funding, adequate manpower and technology as key areas that should not be ignored, if the war against insurgents is to be competently fought and successfully won.
The Borno governor told the house committee chairman during the visit that “you cannot fight this insurgency to an end without technology and without manpower and without funding”.
“Take my words, they (the military) don’t have the manpower, they don’t have the equipment. Kindly advise the Speaker and the Senate President to tell Mr President to approve the massive recruitment of soldiers. We need about 100,000 more to be recruited into the Nigerian Army. They should come and employ the locals whether they have western education or not.
“We need to recruit nothing less than 50,000 men from Borno, we have able-bodied men that can join the Nigerian Armed Forces on an ad-hoc basis.”
Honourable Benson, had earlier informed the governor that his committee was in Maiduguri to pay a condolence visit in respect to the Auno attack.
According to him, the House committee was in Maiduguri to see what could be done to support the ongoing war against insurgency in Borno and the North East in general.